As has been well documented now in the media, we met today with our representatives, the PFA Ireland, in relation to the outstanding monies due to us individually on foot of our contracts. We had received no payment since 1 June and despite numerous attempts over the course of the past six weeks to address this issue by our representatives, no payments have been made until the imminent threat of strike became real.
At the eleventh hour, we have received commitments from the club that we will be paid what we are owed to date but have received no satisfactory confirmation that our contracts will be honoured in the future. With nearly four months of the season to go, this leaves us in a very precarious situation as we simply cannot endure another long period without pay. Like most workers, we have commitments and outgoings which will not wait for payment at the club’s behest.
Our representatives, the PFA Ireland, had sought guarantee of payment for the future, which is entirely reasonable given the history of the last six weeks, and this has not been provided. In the circumstances, we have now balloted to strike and the vote was overwhelmingly in favour. We will now serve strike notice and if payments which fall due in the future are not honoured then we will have no option but to take the last resort option of going on strike.
It is disappointing that it has taken this long for the club and FAI to engage properly with this crisis and we hope they will take this issue of late payment seriously from now on.
We hope the supporters, players and other clubs will appreciate that this action will only be taken if we are left with no other option.